Friday, November 2, 2007

How Walkable is your House?


Here's a little google map add-on that measures how walkable your home and neighborhood is. This is not only valuable for real-estate and community but can help measure holistic greenness of your location. Do you need to drive everywhere you go? Or can you walk to restaurants, the drugstore, hardware stores, bus stops, etc.? My house scored a 43; however they somehow missed the main public bus stop on the corner. On the other hand, they counted an adult video store as a nearby movie theatre - not sure I want those walkability points, thank you very much.

BTW - I am really proud of Susie's Cafe just down the street, represented by the coffee cup near the center of my walkability map. It's become a great little neighborhood Third Place.

I'm proud to have them in the neighborhood, and want to see them thrive. One Saturday night after midnight I needed to finish up worship graphics and send them in to church, and our home wireless was down. I went over and sat outside the closed Susie's with my laptop and sent the graphics in to church. They've got a great breakfast, too. Go, Susie!

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Our house got a 25. When we get back from a trip from The Netherlands, I always wish things weren't so spread out like they are in the US. It's so easy to ride bikes everywhere. They are building a new bike path along our neighborhood which will link to Kent Trails though. Woohoo.

Karthy said...

We got a 65, which I am actually not surprised, since we live about a block or two from the Leonard and Alpine intersection. There are soo many shops around us. I'll have to check out the coffee house that came up b/c I've never heard of it~ :)

Mike and I love Susie's. Their breakfasts are great. The ice cream is good too. We like to support the local shops over Applebees, Fridays, etc etc.