Friday, November 23, 2007

Junky Car Club

I just joined the Junky Car Club which I became aware of from my new friend and fellow blogger, Michael Trent. My family's cars aren't really junky but they most certainly are not new. We have a 1988 Subaru Forester and a 1990 Saturn SC2. They're at that point where they might have cosmetic problems but we're not intending to fix them. I don't want to rehash the post Michael recently articulated at third place consultants - that moved me to join up - but I'm creating my own because there are many in my sphere of people who would love the desire and intent of the Junky Car Club: "Living with less so we can give more"

I love the idea behind this club for several reasons:

1. It provides some solidarity for those who could afford new cars if they wanted to, but simply would rather spend money elsewhere - like supporting ministry and relief work and other charities... and makes that something hip. I'll be getting a calendar. All proceeds go to feed the homeless and impoverished in L.A.

2. Yes, there are probably more fuel efficient cars available. I've experienced Prius Envy. However, the most environmental product in the world is the one you never use.

3. I'm one who anthropomorphizes cars. As a small child I saw an emotive face in every grille. Now I still love quirky, character-laden, junky cars. They develop personalities and collective memories that new cars just don't have. Every dent and scratch is like a badge of honor. The favorite car I ever owned was the one I just sold: in 2003 I bought a 1988 Volvo 240DL Station Wagon on Ebay for $1,300. That's incidentally the same price I paid for my first car; in 1989 I bought a 1983 Plymouth Turismo for $1,300.

4. Many of my circle of friends drive junky cars. Some out of necessity, some by choice. Now there's an official ministry basis for doing so! Join up here: http://www.junkycarclub.com/ and let me know if you've signed up. Perhaps we can create a West Michigan Chapter. Well envisioned, Mr. Mike Foster.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Joined up straight away. Every day it seems my Malibu has another creek or interesting sound emanating from it. Hopefully she'll last the winter.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I thought I was the only one that saw faces of people in the grills of vehicle's. I am glad to know someone else does too. Since I was kid I thought old Ford trucks looked like my dad when he was a kid. I see faces in the grills but typically don't see a person I recognize.